Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce


This spaghetti sauce is home to me. Shamelessly stolen from my mom and adapted, the smell of this on the stove transports me back in time when we would come home from church on Sundays and sit at my parent's kitchen table (I always got the head seat) ready to eat together as a family. My mom spoiled me to having spaghetti any other way than meaty and full of flavor not derived from excess tomato sauce. Great for leftovers, we can munch on this all week.

Spaghetti Sauce
adapted from my mom

Ingredients
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
28-oz can diced tomatoes
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
4-oz can mushrooms, in liquid
1 can marinated artichokes, in liquid
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup water

Preparation
1. Brown onion, beef, and turkey with garlic.
2. Add other ingredients.
3. Simmer uncovered for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf and serve over spaghetti.


No comments:

Post a Comment